Investing Amid Market Volatility and Global Tensions
From the Russia-Ukraine war to rising interest rates to an already tumultuous midterm election — 2022 has been momentous. Weitz Investment Management director of equity research Barton Hooper, CFA, discusses the Weitz equity investment team's consideration of macro events in the research process, views on the energy and commodity sectors, and short- and long-term perspectives on Meta Platforms.
The opinions expressed are those of Weitz Investment Management and are not meant as investment advice or to predict or project the future performance of any investment product. The opinions are current through the date of publication, are subject to change at any time based on market and other current conditions, and no forecasts can be guaranteed. This commentary is being provided as a general source of information and is not intended as a recommendation to purchase, sell, or hold any specific security or to engage in any investment strategy. Investment decisions should always be made based on an investor's specific objectives, financial needs, risk tolerance and time horizon.
Holdings are subject to change and may not be representative of a Fund's current or future investments.
Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
Consider these risks before investing: All investments involve risks, including possible loss of principal. These risks include market risks, such as political, regulatory, economic, social and health risks (including the risks presented by the spread of infectious diseases). In addition, because the Fund may have a more concentrated portfolio than certain other mutual funds, the performance of each holding in the Fund has a greater impact upon the overall portfolio, which increases risk. See the Fund's prospectus for a further discussion of risks related to the Fund.
As of 12/31/2021, the following portfolio company constituted a portion of the net assets of Balanced Fund, Hickory Fund, Partners III Opportunity Fund, Partners Value Fund, and Value Fund as follows:
- Alphabet, Inc. — Class C (GOOG): 2.3%, 0.0%, 7.2%, 7.6%, and 7.5%.
- Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN): 0.0%, 0.0%, 3.3%, 0.0%, and 2.7%.
- Aon plc (AON): 2.0%, 0.0%, 2.0%, 3.6%, and 3.6%.
- Apple, Inc. (AAPL): 0.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%, and 0.0%.
- Markel Corporation (MKL): 1.7%, 4.4%, 6.1%, 3.3%, and 0.0%.
- Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (MLM): 1.5%, 3.2%, 0.0%, 3.2 %, and 0.0%.
- Meta Platforms, Inc. (FB): 0.0%, 0.0%, 5.5%, 3.4%, and 4.8%.
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT): 2.4%, 0.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%, and 0.0%.
- The Charles Schwab Corporation (SCHW): 2.3%, 0.0%, 4.0%, 4.6%, and 4.6%.
- Vulcan Materials Company (VMC): 1.8%, 2.8%, 0.0%, 3.2%, and 3.9%.