Location: Omaha, NE
Reports to: Director of Intermediary Distribution
FLSA Status: Exempt
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Director of Intermediary Distribution, the Portfolio Analyst is primarily responsible for analyzing Weitz investment portfolios and developing qualitative and quantitative analysis to inform key stakeholders. The Portfolio Analyst partners with investment and distribution teams to help ensure the consistency, accuracy and integrity of messaging across channels and audiences. The Portfolio Analyst serves as a product expert and point of contact for Weitz’s investment products, investment processes, and competitive positioning. Analysis and content developed by the Portfolio Analyst supports the firm’s efforts to provide outstanding client service and to gather and retain assets. The portfolio analyst must excel at working independently, collaborating with business partners, and leading projects to completion.
- Working closely with portfolio managers, analysts, and client portfolio managers; develop and maintain the knowledge necessary to act as a subject matter resource on markets, portfolios, portfolio manager thinking and positioning, benchmarks, and peers.
- Grow and maintain expertise on multiple investment data applications (i.e., Morningstar Direct, FactSet, and Bloomberg) to extract investment data and conduct analysis.
- Conduct portfolio analysis – with consideration of financial market conditions, competitor analysis, asset class characteristics, portfolio construction and positioning – to support the needs of the investment and distribution teams.
- Create and distribute competitive analytics to internal partners, including key insights on asset classes, competitors, and product differentiation.
- Clearly articulate investment processes, current positioning, security-level detail, and competitive advantages through presentations across multiple channels.
- Collaborate with investments and distribution teams to create quality and differentiated investment messaging that effectively communicates and positions Weitz products.
- Support the updating and development of monthly and quarterly sales literature and resources.
- Act as a resource for content creation including sales literature, investment commentaries, requests-for-proposals, and insights for client reports.
- Create custom analysis, either to anticipate client concerns or to respond to client inquiries.
- Conduct regular qualitative and quantitative portfolio assessment on existing product line.
- Lead research and generate actionable insights for future product development.
- Develop, and in some cases deliver, external-facing presentations and communications where appropriate, with ongoing updates about the investment philosophy, process, and performance of Weitz’s investment products and strategies.
- Partner with Weitz’s distribution teams to assist in meetings (on- and off-site) with clients, investors, gatekeepers and research analysts.
- Contribute to an informed distribution team by providing general education on all Weitz products including investment processes, results, and potential selling and retention opportunities.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in a business-related field
- MBA or CFA charter designation preferred (or significant progress towards)
- Proficiency with investment related software, including Morningstar Direct, FactSet and Bloomberg, and ability to integrate data and analyses from multiple sources to generate and communicate appropriate conclusions and insights
- Ability to expertly discuss Weitz investment strategies and products
- Experience articulating complex investment concepts
- Strong presentation, writing and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate difficult portfolio concepts to diverse audiences with varying degrees of investment expertise and the ability to discern and adapt to that level of investment sophistication
- Relevant client-facing investment sales experience in the investment management industry helpful
- Highly motivated with the desire to help build and sustain a quality investment organization. Sense of ownership and accountability is essential
- Series 7 and 66 (or equivalent) securities licenses
- Proven strong analytical and quantitative capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills, with emphasis on clarity in writing and impactful presentations
- Ability to build trust with investment, sales and marketing teams and maintain a good rapport with all members of the firm.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Passion for investment management business
ABOUT WEITZ INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
Founded by value investor Wally Weitz in 1983, Weitz Investment Management, Inc. is a boutique, employee-owned asset management firm headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska with approximately $4 billion in assets under management. Over the past three decades, Weitz has leveraged its research-driven approach to capitalize on opportunities that arise out of market inefficiencies. Decisions are backed by thorough research, logical strategies, extensive debate and our team’s personal commitment to long-term results. The Weitz team builds and manages concentrated, high-conviction, actively managed portfolios. Through bottom-up, proprietary research that emphasizes fundamentals, we focus on creating positive results over the long term. We offer a variety of options for investors with different goals and preferences, including equity and fixed income investment strategies through mutual funds and separately managed accounts for individuals and institutions
We offer all employees competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as parental leave, paid time off, on-site gym access, and a very generous qualified profit sharing plan.
Compensation includes salary and discretionary cash bonus and will be commensurate with experience.