Weitz currently has the following open position:
Director of Institutional and Sub-Advisory Sales (PDF)
Location: U.S. Work from Home (Near Major U.S. Hubs) / Omaha, NE
The Director of Institutional and Sub-Advisory Sales is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned institutional investment management business development professional to join Weitz Investment Management, a boutique, entrepreneurial firm based in Omaha, Nebraska. With $3.5 billion in assets under management, the firm offers equity and fixed income strategies through mutual funds and separately managed accounts. We are currently looking for a team-oriented self-starter who displays initiative, expertise and a positive attitude, a high level of integrity, drive and motivation to cultivate and develop institutional market opportunities.
The Director of Institutional and Sub-Advisory Sales will establish a visible presence for Weitz and its investment strategies in the institutional and sub-advisory marketplaces, including identifying opportunities and developing relationships with institutional investors and investment consultants to increase assets under management. Working collaboratively with our internal resources, the ideal candidate will develop and execute a strategic institutional sales, marketing and service plan for the United States to gain brand awareness for Weitz in the institutional and sub-advisory marketplaces, to raise assets from such investors and through investment consultants, and deliver top quality client service, consistent with the objectives, investment capabilities and culture of Weitz Investments.
- As the first full-time representative for Weitz focused solely on the institutional and sub-advisory marketplaces, devise and implement Weitz's institutional business development strategy to raise brand awareness for the firm and its strategies, and increase assets under management through institutional clients (including through corporate and public pensions, endowments, foundations, family offices, and OCIO firms), national and regional investment consultants, and sub-advisory relationships.
- Develop and implement short- and long-term distribution strategies to cultivate relationships, prospect and secure new mandates with institutions and consultants (including generating new buy-ratings and product / strategy placement) through a disciplined process leveraging the candidate's breadth of relationships and knowledge of the institutional marketplace, including manager selection processes and business development lifecycles.
- Maintain highly consultative and solutions-oriented discussions with existing and prospective clients, communicating Weitz product and strategy offerings while addressing broader asset allocation needs.
- Serve as an expert on Weitz Investment Management and articulate Weitz's investment processes and strategies, including our value proposition, differentiation from competitors, and how our strategies fit into investors' portfolios. Lead complex technical investment discussions, including presentations and review meetings with sophisticated audiences.
- Participate in industry-related conferences and programs, which may include speaking engagements.
- Partner with other Weitz resources to develop key product / strategy positioning and messaging targeted to the institutional marketplace, including the investment consultant community. Influence the evolution and communication of the Weitz brand and value-proposition, including eVestment profiles and data, pitchbooks, commentaries, presentations, marketing collateral and thought leadership content targeted to institutions and consultants.
- Speak on markets and investment strategies with client portfolio managers and/or investment team members on podcasts and in video.
- Provide constructive feedback from prospective institutional relationships on strategies and trends to the executive, marketing and investment management teams.
- Must be willing to travel more than 50% of the time after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
- Proven track record of growing businesses in the investment management institutional and sub-advisory market, including increasing assets and generating revenue, expert knowledge of financial markets and economic issues, complex investment processes and products, manager selection and portfolio construction, and strong understanding of the institutional and sub-advisory business development life cycle.
- Motivated by building businesses and working as part of a small team in an entrepreneurial setting — must be hands-on by nature to operate in a lean, boutique firm environment.
- Demonstrate an expert understanding of risk management, performance and risk expectations, portfolio fit, attribution analysis and client advantage.
- Influential presentation and communication style (both written and verbal), with demonstrated success in effectively communicating complex concepts to a wide variety of internal/external constituents, including investor and consultant audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong, long-term relationships with internal colleagues, sub-advisory partners, institutional clients and consultants, while demonstrating a high level of personal integrity and service mindset.
- Highly responsive to client needs and interests, demonstrating a strong sense of urgency.
- Process-oriented and systematic in approach. Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing CRM systemsand reporting tools, together with a high level of discipline and attention to detail required for securing new mandates and fulfilling prospect/client needs.
- A strong team player with a compelling, influential, and collaborative approach. Competitive and confident, yet humble and approachable with a willingness to mentor and share information with colleagues.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- Individual contributor with 10-20 years' experience serving the U.S. institutional and sub-advisory marketplace, with proven success in direct institutional sales, developing sub-advisory relationships, and working with the investment consultant community.
- Technical competency & intellectual credibility with respect to investment processes, products and strategies, as well as current market trends, market participants and prospects, and the competitive landscape.
- Must work extremely well within a team-based environment, mentoring team members, while also being independent and self-motivated.
- FINRA Series 7 and 63 required (or equivalent) securities licenses.
- Fluency with eVestment database and product suite, and CRM systems such as Salesforce required. Experience with other market data providers, including Bloomberg, FactSet and Morningstar is a plus.
About Weitz Investment Management
Founded by value investor Wally Weitz in 1983, Weitz Investment Management, Inc. is a boutique, employee-owned asset management firm headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Over the past four decades, Weitz has leveraged its research-driven approach to capitalize on opportunities that arise out of market inefficiencies. Decisions are backed by thorough research, logical strategies, extensive debate and our team's personal commitment to long-term results. The Weitz team builds and manages concentrated, high-conviction, actively managed portfolios. Through bottom-up, proprietary research that emphasizes fundamentals, we focus on creating positive results over the long term. We offer a variety of options for investors with different goals and preferences, including equity and fixed income investment strategies.
We offer all employees competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as parental leave, paid time off, on-site gym access, and a very generous qualified profit-sharing plan.
Compensation includes salary and discretionary cash bonus and will be commensurate with experience.
Weitz Investment Management is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, and other statuses protected by law