Weitz currently has the following open positions:
Equity Analyst (PDF)
Reports to Director of Equity Research
The Equity Analyst position is an
exciting opportunity for an investment-oriented professional to join Weitz
Investment Management, a boutique, entrepreneurial investment firm based in
Omaha, Nebraska. Our investment
philosophy is grounded in thorough research, a disciplined focus on long-term
results, strength in collaboration and a commitment to buying stocks at
discounts to their underlying business values. Analysts at Weitz have the flexibility to uncover investment
opportunities across industries and market capitalizations.
- Generate new investment ideas for our high conviction equity strategies.
- Identify and conduct in-depth primary research on companies that meet our investment criteria.
- Write concise company reports summarizing the analysis in appropriate detail, including action recommendations.
- Estimate business values primarily using DCF-based financial modeling focused on key drivers, including Weitz's proprietary quality-at-a-discount “QuaD” framework for valuation.
- Monitor assigned portfolio investments and on-deck companies.
- Update company summaries and valuations at least quarterly.
- Communicate timely action recommendations as warranted.
- Help evaluate ideas sponsored and presented by other team members.
- Interview management teams and others in the relevant value chains, in person and by phone.
- Attend industry conferences, field trips, investor days, etc.
- Assist our sales/marketing team in educating clients about our research process and specific investments.
Skills and experience required:
- At least 3 years of directly relevant experience in equity research or business analysis.
- Proficiency in financial statement analysis and basic Excel modeling.
- Bachelor's degree.
- FINRA Series 7 registration preferred.
- CFA charter preferred.
- Proficiency with financial/information databases such as Bloomberg, Sentieo, FactSet.
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Intellectual curiosity and a clear desire to continuously learn.
- Capability to thrive in a collaborative and collegial team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a particular emphasis on clarity in writing.
- Proven strong analytical and quantitative capabilities, as evidenced by career accomplishments and academic rigor / excellence.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Passion for analyzing businesses using multiple mental models.
- Integration of competitive positioning, capital allocation and incremental return dynamics.
- Diversity of background and experience.
To succeed in the Weitz culture, candidates must be results-oriented
self-starters. We are looking for teammates who adhere to the highest standards
and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Please apply by submitting
resume to Barton Hooper, Director of Equity Research at email@example.com.
About Weitz Investment Management
Founded by value investor Wally Weitz in 1983, Weitz
Investment Management, Inc. is a boutique, employee-owned asset management firm
headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Over the past three decades, Weitz has
leveraged its research-driven approach to capitalize on opportunities that
arise out of market inefficiencies. Decisions are backed by thorough research,
logical strategies, extensive debate and our team's personal commitment to
long-term results. The Weitz team builds
and manages concentrated, high-conviction, actively managed portfolios. Through
bottom-up, proprietary research that emphasizes fundamentals, we focus on
creating positive results over the long term. We offer a variety of options for
investors with different goals and preferences, including equity and fixed
income investment strategies.
We offer all employees competitive compensation and benefits
including medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as parental leave, paid
time off, on-site gym access, and a very generous qualified profit sharing
plan. Compensation includes salary and bonus and will be commensurate with